Top Ten Podcasts for Physicians and Health Care Providers
Category: Healthcare Industry
IN A NUTSHELL:
- Podcasts continue to grow in popularity
- Offer an intellectually stimulating experience
- Easy way to stay updated with latest health care news, trends
- Wide variety of topics from patient care, policy, technology, and more
Podcasts have seen an increase in popularity in recent times, especially as more people are staying at home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
However, even before the current state of the world, podcasts were quite popular as a way to start or end the workday for many who faced a long commute. Instead of listening to the same songs over and over again on the radio, podcasts offer a unique opportunity for physicians and other health care providers to help prepare their mind for the exhaustion that can come with a full day of practicing medicine.
Podcasts can be a great way for health care providers to be informed about the latest industry developments or perhaps advance within their career and improve patient care. Ultimately, podcasts can help transform what would be a mindless commute into a thought-provoking and mentally stimulating experience.
Here are 10 podcasts we picked out that are popular for those working in the health care industry:
- Docs Outside The Box: Hosted by Nii Darko, this podcast showcases cutting-edge and innovative doctors and provides insight from men and women pushing the envelope beyond medicine. Dr. Darko is the head of Equal Access Health, which helps physicians obtain the lifestyle they deserve. Docs Outside The Box was born after Dr. Darko became a practicing physician, and realized he was not in control over his own life. More so, he felt like he had not explored other his other talents which he knew he had, and thus felt as if he was “in a box.” Hence Docs Outside The Box was born, bringing stories of ordinary doctors doing extraordinary things to inspire other doctors to think outside the box.
- The Future of Healthcare: Hosted by Nathan Dollinger, Customer Success Strategy and Operations Manager at Luma Health, Dollinger is a former EMT for and was a cancer genetic research assistant. The podcast is focused on learning from current health care professionals across the industry to educate and inspire the next generation of health care leaders. The Future of Healthcare releases a new podcast each week. The topics range from health and wellness to technology and health care policy.
- TED Talk Health: Most everyone is familiar with TED, the nonprofit devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks. TED began in the mid-1980s as a conference where Technology, Entertainment and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics—including health care. Physicians and health care professionals can choose from a wide variety of topics that focus on the state of the health care industry, social issues involving health care, and everyday issues that heath care workers face.
- Doctor Money Matters: Hosted by Dr. Tarang Patel, a practicing diagnostic radiologist in Phoenix, Arizona, the podcast seeks to share knowledge about financial matters as they relate to health care professionals. Dr. Patel states that while health care providers have spent a lot of time learning about the science and art behind patient care, many lack the knowledge on how to reach financial well-being. Such issues include setting up investment accounts, negotiating contracts, purchasing insurance, and more. Dr. Patel said that while he had no formal training on this, he did learn a lot by reading and also from mistakes. Through discussing these topics, Dr. Patel hopes to reduce the financial mistakes that prior generations of doctors have made.
- Nurse Keith Coaching: Hosted by Keith Carlson, RN, BSN, NC-BC, who has been a nurse since 1996. Carson has worked in a variety of clinical settings and held management and executive positions, including Chief Nursing Officer and Director of Nursing. Carson said that he has an equal passion for nursing and coaching, which he translates into a desire to help nurses experience the most satisfying careers possible. His podcast, The Nurse Keith Show, was launched in January of 2015, and offers weekly nursing career advice, information, and inspiration for nurses and health care professionals who want to take their careers to the next level.
- Fixing Healthcare: Hosted by Robert Pearl, former CEO of the nation’s largest physician group The Permanente Medical Group, along with Jeremy Corr, who has interviewed some of the top leaders and most brilliant minds in healthcare. The podcast is described as “a podcast with a plan” to solve the healthcare system’s biggest problems. The show regularly appears on Apple’s Top 100 list of science and medicine podcasts.
- This Week in Health IT: Hosted by Bill Russell, the founder of the podcast, its mission statement is to “Amplify great thinking to propel health care forward.” In this current digital age, it is becoming increasingly difficult for Health IT professionals to stay up to date on the overwhelming amount of industry news, which can ultimately harm their ability to be effective and innovative in their roles. The podcast is dedicated to propelling health care forward by raising up the next generation of health care leaders.
- The Healthcare Policy Podcast: Hosted by David Introcaso, a health care policy consultant based in Washington DC for more than 20 years. Introcaso also spent several years working in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Healthcare Policy Podcast addresses a wide array of healthcare policy issues and developing policy, ranging from the Affordable Healthcare Act and Medicaid to public health and private sector health care.
- The Business of Health Care: A twice-monthly podcast from the Center for Healthcare Leadership and Management. The center is based at the Naveen Jindal School of Management at The University of Texas at Dallas. The podcast brings together business leaders and other forward thinkers to discuss how best to meet the challenges of a rapidly changing, increasingly complex health care industry.
- American Medical Association: Moving Medicine: Stay in the loop on innovations and emerging issues that are currently impacting physicians and public health. Hosted by the American Medical Association, you’ll find interviews, educational presentations and in-depth discussions about relevant health care topics.