American Red Cross: Blood Donations Crucial During Holidays
IN A NUTSHELL:
- Regular donors sometimes unable to donate
- Every two seconds someone needs blood
- Blood donations expire after 42 days
The American Red Cross is reminding the public about the importance of donating blood during the holiday season.
Whatever you plan to make for Thanksgiving, be sure to also make time for a blood donation. It may take hours to make your holiday feast, but it only takes one hour to donate blood. Unlike Thanksgiving leftovers, the American Red Cross cannot stockpile blood. Platelets expire after five days.
Even if you are on the road, you can use the Red Cross Blood Donor App to find a blood donation center near you, schedule an appointment to give, and track your donation until it reaches a hospital to help a patient in need.
Follow the tips below to make sure you are prepared to roll up a sleeve to make a generous and life-saving donation:
Make it quick:
- Speed up your donation by completing a RapidPass online health history questionnaire. RapidPass can also be completed on mobile devices, through the Red Cross Blood Donor App.
- Scheduling a blood donation appointment is EASY! All eligible individuals can make an appointment by using the free Red Cross Blood Donor App, visiting the Red Cross Website or calling 1-800-REDCROSS (1-800-733-2767).